New Contests and Experiences (6-8)

Kids Tech University registration opens Oct. 21 at 6:00PM

Online Enrollment begins October 21st t 6:00PM for ages 9-12 for this semester long educational research program.

Login to Save.

Roanoke STEAM DAY- Nov. 8, 2019

Roanoke STEAM DAY- Nov. 8, 2019

November 8, 2019-Roanoke STEAM Day is hosted by locations that include the Science Museum of Western Virginia, Taubman Museum of Art, Virginia Museum of Transportation, Virginia Tech Carilion Research Institute and Radford University Carilion. School Registration required.

Login to Save.

VT Science Festival

VT Science Festival

The Virginia Tech Science Festival is Saturday, November 16, 2019, from 10AM to 4PM, immediately followed by the Nutshell Games at 4:30PM. All festival events are free.

Login to Save.

If I Were Mayor Essay Contest

If I Were Mayor Essay Contest

The Virginia Municipal League (VML) invites all Virginia 7th Graders to join its essay contest, “If I Were Mayor,” to tell others what they would do as mayor* to make their city, town or county an even better place to live.

Login to Save.

Virginia PTA’s Citizenship Essay Project

Open to grades K-12 at schools with good PTA/PTSA in Good Standing

Login to Save.

National PTA Reflections Program

National PTA Reflections Program

This competition encourages students to explore the arts and express themselves by providing positive recognition for their artistic efforts. Registration opens July 1, 2019 and will close on February 1, 2020.

Login to Save.

Caring for Our Watersheds

Caring for Our Watersheds

Caring for Our Watersheds is an environmental competition that encourages creativity and rewards students for their solutions to local watershed issues. Winning teams win money to implement their idea. Open to: Classrooms/clubs composed of students in grades 6-10.

Login to Save.

Career Exploration in the Health Professions

Medical Careers Exploration Experiences for Children in Middle School and High School through summer camps, volunteer programs, and Health Sciences Academy. Specifically for students in Winchester and the counties of Frederick, Clarke, Warren, Rappahannock, Shenandoah, and Page.

Login to Save.

Camp Woods and Wildlife Camp  (Ages 13-16)

Camp Woods and Wildlife Camp (Ages 13-16)

The Virginia Department of Forestry, in cooperation with natural resource conservation agencies and organizations, has proudly administered Camp Woods & Wildlife. This unique camping experience has introduced young Virginians (ages 13-16) to the challenges, special skills and knowledge needed for managing the forest resources we use and enjoy every day. The camp meets June 22-27, 2020. at Holiday Lake 4-H Education Center. All campers will receive a $200 scholarship to offset some of the costs. Nominations may be made by any adult not related to the students and will be accepted through beginning January 2020.

Login to Save.

BLAST: Building Leaders for Advancing Science and Technology

Free 3 day summer experiences in 2019 for current Virginia 8th and 9th graders with at least a C+ average. Applications open November 15, 2019. Apply Early! Due date Feb 10, 2020.

Login to Save.

Ranger Rick’s Photo Contest for Kids

Ranger Rick’s Photo Contest for Kids

Enter your best nature shots online with a parent. Ages 5-13. Easy online entry each month.

Login to Save.

NASA Grades 5-8 Student Site

NASA Grades 5-8 Student Site

Hand on projects, NASA Career Corner, Contests and Things to Do.

Login to Save.

Future City Competition

Future City Competition

Future City starts with a question—how can we make the world a better place? To answer it, 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students imagine, research, design, and build cities of the future that showcase their solution to a citywide sustainability issue. Past topics include stormwater management, urban agriculture, public spaces, and green energy. The 2019-2020 theme is Clean Water: Tap Into Tomorrow.

Login to Save.

Virginia Department of Forestry

Virginia Department of Forestry

Learn more about Virginia Forests through these activities and materials for Kids and Families.

Login to Save.

USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service

Set up a backyard conservation area with help from the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service.  From creating a backyard pond, planting trees, and creating a wildlife habitat, these activity sheets get you involved in nature. Conservation guide pages 1-14;  pages 15-28.

Login to Save.

Virginia State Parks Programs

Virginia State Parks Programs

Explore what is happening at your favorite Virginia State Park from photography and papermaking to building a bird or bat house. Check out what is happening near you.

Login to Save.

i-am-the-one.com

i-am-the-one.com

Check out this Virginia effort to increase student readiness for higher education. Information for parents, students, and counselors on college preparation.

Login to Save.

The Kids Science Challenges

The Kids Science Challenges

A project made possible by the National Science Foundation, this site has over 50 science challenges for students to do at home or at school! Includes videos and printables with instructions and directions.  Bring science into any home with these great challenges! Teacher and Parent page here!

Login to Save.

Kids Science Career Videos

Kids Science Career Videos

Sponsored by the Kids Science Challenge, these videos show real life scientists at work!

Login to Save.

DAR: Daughters of the American Revolution Essay Contests & Scholarships

Chapter, State, and National Winners receive certificates, medals, and even a monetary reward.

Login to Save.

NCDA Poetry and Art Contest

NCDA Poetry and Art Contest

Open to Grades K-Adult. Entries must go through local school and district. Virginia Entry form here.

Login to Save.

Virginia Museum of History and Culture

Virginia Museum of History and Culture

Virginia History Day contests for students in grades 6-8 and 9-12 compete in any one of 9 categories  as an individual or group. VIEW details here. View District contest deadlines here.

Login to Save.

Valley Health

Valley Health

Career Exploration in the Health Professions Medical Careers Exploration Experiences for Children in Middle School and High School through summer camps, volunteer programs, and Health Sciences Academy. Specifically for students in Winchester and the counties of Frederick, Clarke, Warren, Rappahannock, Shenandoah, and Page.

Login to Save.

Virginia Institute of Marine Science Programs for Elementary and Middle School Students

From family activities to summer camps check out these opportunities.

Login to Save.

Centra Summer Medical Careers Day Camp

Centra Summer Medical Careers Day Camp

Rising 7-9 graders attend camp at Virginia Baptist Hospital in Lynchburg, VA

Login to Save.

Mathematics and Technology for Talented Youth (MTTY)

Free online quarterly program to offer non-credit enrichment courses in mathematics and computer science for students who are entering the 7th grade through 12th grade.

Login to Save.

Division for Health Sciences and Diversity

Programs listed by grade levels 6-8 focusing on health care careers including both summer and academic programs.

Login to Save.